Friday, June 24, 2011

Raw Carob-Almond Truffles (Vegan, Gluten-Free)

I have so much carob powder in my pantry!  I came across this super quick, no-bake, three-ingredient recipe, and I was immediately captivated.  The three main ingredients recommended by the recipe are: walnuts, raisins, and carob powder.  I decided to use almonds and dates instead, and I am pleased with the results. 

These cookie-truffles are so adorable and totally versatile.  Next time I make these, I am considering using other ingredients.  Salted pistachios?  Sunflower seeds?  Unsweetened coconuts flakes? Dried blueberries?  I am so excited!






RAW CAROB-ALMOND TRUFFLES

Yield=about 13 truffles
-1 cup pitted dates (another type of dried fruit can be substituted, is desired)
-3/4 cup raw almonds (another type of nut or seed can substituted, if desired)
-1/4 cup carob powder (unsweetened cocoa powder could alternatively be used)
-1 Tablespoon water, optional

Throw the first three ingredients into a food processor and grind until a cohesive ball is formed (about 5 minutes).  Add the optional tablespoon of water if the mixture is a bit dry and is not sticking together.

Using your hands, form the mixture into tablespoon-sized balls.  Slightly flatten each ball with your palms, and place an almond in the center of each ball.  That's it!

Enjoy immediately.  Refrigerate the truffles if they will be out for over a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment