Monday, May 9, 2011

Oat-Banana-Flax Muffins Spiked with an Indian Spice Blend (Vegan)

I bought a small jar of cardamom pods a while ago for a Moraccan spice blend recipe.  I only used a small amount of cardamom, so I have been trying to incorporate this aromatic Indian spice into some of my recipes.  Ground cardamom can be quite expensive, but whole cardamom pods are not too harsh on your wallet.  Cardamom seeds can be isolated from their pods and ground to give a delicious cardamom powder.  Cardamom powder, or ground cardamom, is what I have used in the below muffin recipe.  I suppose additional cinnamom or ginger could be substituted for the cardamom, but the taste of the muffins will be totally different.  Cardamom is unlike any other spice.

The below muffin recipe is derived from my whole wheat gingerbread flax muffin recipe.  I guess I bake a lot of muffins.  Several alterations were made, and I am very happy with the results.  Have fun and enjoy!



OAT-BANANA-FLAX MUFFINS SPIKED WITH AN INDIAN SPICE BLEND (VEGAN)

Yield= 6-8 Muffins, depending on how generously you fill your muffin tins.

WET INGREDIENTS

-1/3 cup soymilk
-1 teaspoon vinegar
-2 Tablespoons ground flax
-2 medium bananas, mashed
-1/4 cup agave nectar

DRY INGREDIENTS

-1/2 cup white whole wheat flour OR whole wheat pastry flour
-1/2 cup oat flour (I made my own oat flour by grinding 1/2 cup of oats in the food processor)
-1/4 cup oats
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-3 teaspoons indian spice blend (1 teaspoon ground cardamom + 1 teaspoon cinnamon + 1 teaspoon ginger)
OPTIONAL TOPPING

-3 Tablespoons oats



Preheat oven to 350 F, and line a muffin tin with paper liners. I always use a non-stick silicon muffin tin, so I avoid this step.

Whisk together all dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a smaller separate bowl, whisk together soymilk, ground flax, and vinegar until thick and curdlely. Add mashed bananas, and agave nectar to the wet ingredients. Mix well. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients all at once, mixing until just combined. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, and bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (about 22 minutes).

Cool muffins slightly in muffin tins, and transfer to a cooling rack when cool enough to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment