Thursday, March 24, 2011

Creamy Garlic Hummus

I made vegetable hummus a long time ago, and I have not really made it since.  Commercially made hummus is nice, but it is often loaded with sodium and preservatives.  Even high quality commercial hummus lacks that really homemade, fresh taste.  Hummus-eaters know what I'm talking about.  This, and the fact that I am trying to up my protein intake, inspired me to make some hummus.  I browsed the Internet for hummus recipes to get some guidance, but I ended up just throwing it together on my own.  I allowed my taste buds to guide me.  The finished product was surprisingly delicious.  However, if I had to do it again, I might use another type of bean and some additional ingredients.  How about black bean hummus with roasted red peppers?  Azuki beans with sesame oil and ginger?  The options are endless!  The basic hummus recipe that I devised is below: 

CREAMY GARLIC HUMMUS

-8 oz can chickpeas, rinsed well (freshly soaked and boiled chickpeas could be alternatively used)
-2 cloves of garlic, skin removed
-1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
-1 Tablespoon tahini
-about 1/4 cup lemon juice, vinegar, or anything acidic (adjust quantity to taste)

Throw all ingredients into a food processor, and pulse until smooth. 

Spread on pita bread, whole grain crackers, fresh veggies, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment